3 – Porosity Logs
What you will learn
- Basic physics and basic operating concepts.
- Common displays of logs and how to identify each curve.
- How to read logs (e.g. bed boundaries, which log curve is best to use).
- Limitations, common pitfalls (borehole condition, mud system, invasion, mud cake effects).
This course continues coverage of basic petrophysical analysis with a review of logs used to determine porosity and lithology. You will learn the basic physics and operating principle behind each tool, the common log displays, and limitations of each tool. Tools are described in their generic form and specific service companies may offer variations on the basic design concepts.
Knowledge of tool theory is especially important when things don’t appear to be “going right”. Many log analyses fail because the tool’s limitations or operating environment were exceeded. You need to know when and where the data will be valid.
- Crain’s Integrated Petrophysics, courses 1 and 2 OR equivalent background.
- Basic understanding of high school level physics is helpful but not required.
- Sonic Logs
- Density and PE Logs
- Neutron Logs
- Nuclear Magnetic Log
- Elemental Capture Spectrography Log
Target AudienceThose who wish to become proficient in petrophysical analysis or who need to manage or make use of petrophysical results will benefit from this course, including:
- Log analysts,
- Reservoir engineers,
- Completion engineers,
- Stimulation engineers, and
- University / Tech school students
Specification: 3 – Porosity Logs
About the Publisher
- Crain's Petrophysical Handbook
- Store Name: Crain's Petrophysical Handbook
- E. R. (Ross) Crain, P.Eng. is a retired Consulting Petrophysicist and Professional Engineer living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. In a career that spans 50+ years, he has specialized in integrated petro... Read More > Read More
There are no reviews yet.
30-day money back guarantee
Secure encrypted payment
All Credit cards Accepted
Be the first to review “3 – Porosity Logs”
You must be logged in to post a review.